Jan 14, 2009

The Cradle Rocks Above an Abyss....

From a distance, it's hardly noticeable -- you wouldn't even notice that you weren't noticing it. Instead you're likely to be gazing at the fenced in, half-repaired construction site that is the Durham Athletic Park. You might be wondering, "Do my bonds equal a better Durham?" You might be thinking, "Huh, I wonder what's new at the Scrap Exchange?" You might be thinking about nothing at all, and you might not even notice this sign:

DSCF4566.JPG

And that, my friends, could be your first, and last, mistake.

What, you're wondering, am I referring to? Is it that big puddle to the left filling a hole that could serve as a quarantine area for some of our larger aquatic mammals? Maybe the jagged line of concrete patches like some ghastly lace-work running along the edge of the road?

DSCF4569.JPG

The cracks criss-crossing the pavement? the loose gravel scattered about the gutter? those examples of Durham's famous rocks?




No, friends, none of those significant but inferior blemishes. See below -- if you think you can stand it....




DSCF4570.JPG

The abyss looks back, Durhamites, the abyss looks back!

happy travels,
Ken

8 comments:

-kaplan said...

The open storm drains make for an awesome playground, admit it. They helped me to learn valuable tunnel navigation skills early in life.

M. Dennis said...

Maybe you should build a restaurant in that hole in the ground and have really good food there. That could be a new goal of the foodie movement, and it would also serve Durham, apparently. Seriously, that's horrifying.

-Miranda

Ken Rumble said...

It's true, K, that wandering around rat-infested tunnels is a good way to prepare for a life of poetry, but do we, after all, really want to /encourage/ a life of poetry? My friend....

And Miranda, horrifying indeed -- though a little cozy restaurant might be just the thing down there. If I squint my eyes right, it kind of looks like that scene from Lady & the Tramp.

h.t,
Ken

Joseph Donahue said...

There was an open storm drain just like this one in my neighborhood a few weeks ago. I was walking the dog when I noticed it. While I was standing there, looking at the mysterious bricks suddenly visible, wondering, when were they put there, who was the guy who put them there, and the dog was off being a dog, a little old lady came out on her lawn. She made her way down the gravel drive. It took a while. She said please, could you call and complain, tell them its dangerous, tell them to fix it? I can't call anymore. They won't listen to me. They won't believe me.

Chris Vitiello said...

durham is post-durham. deal with it.

Ken Rumble said...

It is for women and men like that all over this city, Joe, for whom I keep this blog -- they may not listen, but they'll look.....oh yes, they'll look....

And Mr. Vitiello, this, my friend, is a Durham post -- is it not??

h.t,
Ken

Chris Vitiello said...

might i suggest a video post of driving east on green street between broad and buchanan?

not that i'm endorsing this scandalous blog...

Ken Rumble said...

Thanks for the tip, Mr. Vitiello -- it is through the diligence of good citizens such as yourself that the horror that is Durham's infrastructure will be relieved.

h.t,
Ken